Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Wounded Warrior Program

I just received an email from a good friend yesterday that I thought I should share with the rest of the world.  I hope that he does not mind that I am going to share it but he knows me well enough to know I just do not give a shit what he thinks.  I know it is a little bit of a long read but I feel it is much worth it so here it is.

John buddy,

 

My wife, Rose, and daughter, Heather, are going to Germany later this month and while there they will volunteer for a few days at the USO visiting wounded troops in the US Army hospital. Rose is a retired Army Command Sergeant Major and still feels a connection with the troops. With the extra troops going to Afghanistan, there will be more wounded going through Germany on their way home.

 

Quite a few of these solders arrive in Germany with little or no extra clothing as they are coming right out of a field hospital in Afghanistan. We are putting together a ditty bag with a sweatshirt and tee shirt for the wounded troops. The bag will also act as a carrying case for any other items that they receive while at the hospital.

With Rose leading the way, we at Pete’s Sport Shop, with help from the folks at the post office and some other groups, put together similar bags a few years ago during the roughest part of the war in Iraq. We mailed about 150-200 bags that had a sweatshirt, tee shirt, sweatpants, socks and some toiletry items donated by Longs drug store. We heard from the chaplains office and even from a few of the recipients thanking us for the bags. It made it easy for the soldiers who could not get around very well to just pick up a bag with the items inside.

This packet will have at least a tee shirt and a sweatshirt. My wife will take about 10 sets with her and the rest we will mail to the USO.

 

If you are interested in sponsoring a packet, we will screen print your company name or personal name on the back of the sweatshirt. You may include your mailing address or email address, in case the recipient wants to send you a thank you note. Each packet will cost about $10 for the items and shipping costs. I can fit about 25-30 names on the back of the sweatshirt.

 

I plan to print and ship the packs next week. With any luck they may arrive by the time my wife arrives in Germany. If not I am sure that the USO will make sure that they get to the solders that need them.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. If you wish to donate, please send a check made out to Pete’s Sport Shop.

 

Thanks,

Paul sends

 

I just feel that this letter has to get out to more people and that is why I have included it in my blog.  Just so everyone knows I have already purchased 10 bags for the wounded soldiers.  I guess the whole point of this blog is to say if anyone feels like they should or need to do something for the wounded troops coming home this is a great way to get it done.  If anyone would like to help you can contact me and I will make sure that it gets to the troops.  Just so you know everything that is collected from us the public gets to the troops.

Posted via email from jbmendoza's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment