Monday, February 16, 2009

The Question

So today I was asked the toughest question that I have ever been asked in my life. We should back up a few steps and start over so that you can see the whole picture. The other day we had some fairly large and or expensive items stolen and all I thought about is what kind of piece of shit would do something like this. Now I am not a very forgiving person and got mad that someone would steal from work like that and I take work very personally. So here I am ranting and raving that if I ever find out who did this I am going to kick the living shit out of them and a whole bunch of graphic and disturbing shit that would make any horror movie look like it was produced by Disney. So here I am in the middle of all of this and this friend of mine walks up and asked the question of a lifetime that changed my attitude and got me to think but most important made me write about it.

"IF YOUR FAMILY WAS STARVING WOULD YOU DO WHATEVER IT TOOK TO KEEP YOUR FAMILY FED?"

Holy shit I was blown away with that one question and started once again to think about the times that we are in and how hard times are. I guess to put it in perspective Fresno County is at around 13% unemployment that means that you walk down the street and count 100 people and 13 of those people do not have jobs. Then you look at other towns within Fresno County that are running at around 34% unemployment and that means more than a third of the people do not have a job and that figure is worse than you think because that does not count people not working because they choose not to work maybe due to other responsibilities like a disability in the family that someone needs to be around to take care of them. These figures start to blow you away when you look at them. So now I get back to the answer YES I would do anything to make sure that my family eats for one more day. That would include lie, cheat, and or steal. That still does not make it right but it makes you think that I hope I never have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment